Search This Blog

Saturday 16 July 2011

sails waxed on about the Settee Sail

In  my previous discussions on sails I waxed on about the Settee Sail  which is a  quadrilateral (4 sided)  sail. 

It is 4 sided by dint of a very short luff. How short is open to adaptation, but in exploring the sail offered by Bill Mantis --in excruciating detail --I realized that he too was offering a Settee Sail. He may not call it that, but that's the lateen he uses.

I was exploring the Settee and seeing how it may relate to the  Mantis  rig when I realized that he was in fact was adapting a Settee by turning it 90 degrees. The spar/rod instead of being suspended from a short mast, became the mast.

So I grabbed an image of a canoe rigged with a Settee Sail and turned it 90 degrees.

(See image: drop head to left shoulder  to view original horizontal mode)

Sails are going to  be dependent on  wind dynamics and just because you flip a sail , it doesn't necessarily mean that you transfer all the harvestible energy of the original design with the flip.

But the fact that a good idea may work on a different dimension as well as its original is something I find very appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment